SAM Medical, SAM Chest Seal Unvented
The SAM® Chest Seal is an occlusive dressing designed for treating open chest wounds (also known as a sucking chest wound), a life-threatening situation that could lead to tension pneumothorax. This is the second leading cause of preventable death on the battlefield.
Key features of the SAM Chest Seal include its strong adhesive and its flexible construction, which allows conformability over the wound. The adhesive properties have been tested to simulate various environments including adhesion to hair, sweat, blood, in the presence of sand, submersion in water, and during extended wear. The chest seal also adheres under extreme heat and cold.
Another key advantage of the strong adhesion is its ability to reseal, making it ideal for venting the wound. The SAM Chest Seal addresses other military needs including a larger dressing area, and by including a highly and rapidly absorbent 5″ x 9″ pad for cleaning the wound area before application.
- Device adheres despite the presence of blood, sweat, hair, and sand
- Adheres despite storage as defined in Military Standard 810G
- Easily applied in battlefield situations
- Has tabs to facilitate removal of adhesive (dressing)
- Minimum incidence of allergic reactions to adhesive
- Oval shape; 6-8 inches or larger in size
- Creates an occlusive seal
- Ventable through lifting a flap on the seal; reseals well after venting
- Puncture-resistant packaging; lightweight and ruggedized
- Long shelf life; inexpensive
- Integrity and function maintained when stored or carried in folded configuration
- Configured for ease of use in low-light environments
- Dual tabs to facilitate placement and removal of dressing
- Vacuum packed tear and peel pouch
- Works under extreme heat and cold
- Dressing and packaging are night vision optimized
- Elastic for conformability of curved body surfaces
- Oval shape with thin edge layer that resists lifting or peeling
- Rapid, highly absorbent 5″ x 9″ pad included
Chest Seal Size: 9.2″ x 7.6″
Package Dimensions: 6.25″ x 10″ x .25″
Package Weight: 3.2 oz.